Ok the let's talk about the diet

Written on 10:37 AM by Pastor Coon



Well, I have never been one to have a real weight issue; except for when I was injured in the Marine Corps (and that was a whole lot of something else, too). Being taller (almost 6'2") helps hide the poundage but I have noticed a substantial weight gain since getting discharged in 2006 of nearly 50 lbs. I have felt it in the trousers that my wife keeps shrinking in the laundry or int he knees that don't quite bend enough to put my socks on without sitting, but of course it was never from lack of exercise or terrible eating habits...right?!? When Kimberly (my lovely wife of 15 1/2 yrs) told me that we were going on a diet together I was irritated just with the idea of buying all this different, expensive food and having my life turned upside forever. But when she told me about just a 6-week commitment and that while somethings would change we would still be eating just regular food differently not really incurring any added expense...I reluctantly agreed. It was one of the best things that I have done!

When we received our 'diet box' with our custom diet notebooks, our cookbook, our individual workout plans and our instructional videos to tell you honestly I was not too thrilled. I convinced Kimberly to wait until the following Monday so that (1) we could develop a reasonable shopping list (read cheap list) and (2) get rid of the food in the house that would not be allowed for at least the first six weeks. Well, she disappointingly agreed but she watched the videos and put together our notebooks and tried to explain how it worked to me (she still has to explain parts because I'm slow and lazy...since I don't study my own notebook!). As Kimberly explained to me that we were to eat about 6 times I day, I thought "Who has time for that?" and this thought was closely followed by "Hey, birdseed! I'm going to starve!" But as she explained it and showed me how to use my notebook (at least parts of it) I noticed something strange that I was eating allot and this was supposed to help me lose weight...yeah right?!

So Monday morning arrived with me on the scale...250.5 lbs. I look skinner in a suit so Monday morning was not impressive but I had committed to 6 weeks and I was committed to help my wife...too many times in the past I was a stumbling block...not this time! So I had breakfast which I hardly ever acknowledged before unless it was with a my order at Dunkin Donuts, "! Large Hot Hazelnut extra/extra and 1 boston creme and 1 glazed donut. Thank you!" so this morning was a little different...no dairy...no creamer...no cheese...no milk...no cereal...no waffles. Rice and Egg (whites...no yolks) boy was I depressed! For mid-morning snack I got to enjoy a fruit smoothie recipe that Kimberly found in our diet cookbook...really in the cookbook. So we sat and looked through the cookbook and planned (rather she did I just drooled thinking of eating all the recipes sounded delicious) our shopping list and meals.

AS you gathered Monday I was hungry and full...it was odd! I knew I was going to be ok and that I needed to lose a "couple of pounds" but now on Friday I am fully sold on the diet and 7.5 pounds lost later I am excited for what awaits us at the end of next week.

Some real benefits I see so far. I used to sleep in a recliner because my acid reflux was so bad on some nights I couldn't lay flat. I was a zantac and tums popping addict. So far this week I have not taken anything and have not had an issue with stomach acid. I eat more during the day and truly do have more energy throughout the day! I go to bed earlier since this is when I really struggle with my "junk food in front of the t.v." syndrome. So I sleep better and longer now and am excited to wake up and start another day of eating.

In case you're wondering...now I have not done a bit of exercise with the videos at all though I plan to to shape and trim my 'weak areas' and I drink mostly nothing but water (nearly 100 ounces a day) with an occasional coffee thrown in. It has been good so far and I'm having fun! I'll keep ya posted on more later.

If you enjoyed this post Subscribe to our feed

2 Comments

  1. Kimberly |

    very good job...now exercise! Love you!

     
  2. Pam--in America |

    Thanks for your comment/advice on my last post. It's good to have a man's point of view!
    I hope you do well on the diet. Thanks for helping Kimberly stay strong.

     

Post a Comment